“By connecting our mission and actions to our social purpose, we are able to leverage our unique expertise and resources to add value to society and our stakeholders.”
At Cigna, we understand that getting healthy, staying healthy and feeling secure is easier when you have the support of a trusted partner. We work to earn this trust every day through responsible business practices, corporate citizenship and our commitment to providing superior services that meet our customers’ individual needs.
Inspired by our mission of improving the health, well- being and sense of security of the people we serve, our approach to corporate responsibility, which we call Cigna Connects, builds powerful connections that positively impact the health of people, communities and the environment. By connecting our mission and actions to our social purpose, we are able to leverage our unique expertise and resources to add value to society and our stakeholders.
Our strategically aligned Cigna Connects journey began several years ago and, during this time, we’ve advanced many initiatives designed to positively impact the health of people, communities and the environment. Examples of this include:
- The Cigna Foundation launching its new World of Difference grant program focused on improving health equity.
- Continuing to make progress in meeting the three-year environmental targets we implemented in 2015– 9% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, 9% reduction in energy use and 3% reduction in water consumption.
- Implementing a Supplier Code of Ethics demonstrating our values and commitment to working with suppliers that embrace ethical behavior, human rights and environmental protection.
- Becoming a partner in the Department of Energy’s Workplace Charging Challenge, supporting our employees’ use of electric vehicles (EV) with installation of EV chargers in several Cigna office locations.
- Being the first U.S. health service company of our kind to become a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact.
- Publishing Cigna’s statement on human rights.
- Annually training all new employees in our Code of Ethics, and requiring all existing employees to affirm their adherence to the Code.
- Adopting a new Director’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics for Cigna’s Board of Directors.
- Publishing our 3rd annual Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility Report communicating our progress toward our environmental, social and governance objectives.
We invite you to read our report and engage with us as we embrace and integrate responsible business practices and corporate citizenship into our work each and every day, around the world.