At American Express, we are dedicated to treating everyone we serve with the utmost care and respect. As the world evolves, we will continue transforming to meet the needs of our stakeholders while remaining true to the values that have always sustained us.
Through the decades, we’ve managed through times of transformation, change and opportunity. We’ve faced challenges, but we’ve always emerged a better, stronger company by adhering to our core values: keeping the needs of our customers front and center, offering outstanding products and unsurpassed service, demonstrating the highest standards of integrity, working together to help the company succeed, treating each other with respect, giving back to our communities, showing a passion for what we do, and being accountable for results and learning from our mistakes.
Those Blue Box Values define who we are; how we operate; and how we’ll continue to grow, thrive and pursue our vision to become the world’s most respected service brand.
To achieve our vision, we need to earn that respect not only from our customers but also from all our stakeholders — our shareholders, our employees, our business partners, and the communities where we live and work. Our service commitment extends from creating innovative products to protecting Card Members’ privacy and the security of their data. From promoting the growth of small businesses to developing diverse leaders. From meeting our carbon and energy targets to building a strong company culture.
Over the past year we:
- Celebrated Small Business Saturday’s seventh year, a day we created to support local businesses that help create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods across the country;
- Expanded paid parental leave to 20 weeks for male and female U.S.-based regular full-time and part-time salaried employees;
- Engaged more than 16,000 volunteer employees — donating $4 million in time and talent;
- Maintained a global real estate portfolio, of which more than 50 percent is green-building certified; and
- Powered our data centers with 100 percent carbon-free electricity.
We also reached several long-term philanthropic milestones, including:
- More than $65 million granted to preserve more than 500 historic places for the future; and
- Nearly $60 million invested to train 50,000 social purpose and nonprofit leaders.